Duo Security provides Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) service to protect users against account takeover and data theft. This additional identification step blocks hackers from logging in your account even when your password is compromised or leaked. You will also be notified when someone tries to log in with your password, providing an additional level of protection to secured login. At EdUHK, most critical information systems are covered by Duo. It complements MFA on O365 introduced earlier to protect staff emails, OneDrive and etc.
Procedures: (For new staff only. If you are self-enroll, please refer to https://www.eduhk.hk/ocio/mfa-duo#self-reg.)
A. Install and configure Duo Mobile App
Install the Duo Mobile app and allow notification for this app:
Get the Duo Mobile App for your device:
For android devices without Google Play store, please download the APK file here.
B. Register your mobile device for Duo
- Open a web browser and visit the Portal at https://portal.eduhk.hk.
- Log in with your EdUHK username, password on the Single-Sign-On (SSO) log in page.
- Then you will be re-directed to the Duo enrollment page. Click "Start setup" to begin.
- Choose “Mobile phone” as the primary verification device. Then click "Continue".
- Choose Hong Kong for country code and enter your mobile phone number. Tick the check box to confirm the phone number is correct. Then click "Continue".
- Choose the type of your phone (e.g. iPhone) and click "Continue".
- Click "I have Duo Mobile installed". (Note: Make sure you have the Duo mobile app installed on your device.)
- When you see the following screen, open the Duo Mobile app on your mobile.
- Click “+” to add an account on your mobile device.
- Scan the QR code you get from step 10.
- A six-digit passcode will be shown and your account is added successfully.
- Then switch back to your computer and click “Continue”.
- Choose "Ask me to choose an authentication method" and click "Continue to Login".
- Click "Send Me a Push" to trigger the login approval process.
- You will then receive a notification on your mobile. Tap on the notification
- Click “Approve” on the app as the second step of verification.
- Congratulations. Your device will be ready to approve authentication requests within 5-10 minutes. And you will be able to access the Portal. (Note: Please do not un-install the Duo Mobile App on your mobile device as you will need to use it for login approvals.)
For details about Duo, please visit MFA on Duo.