A number of network printers are installed in Central computer rooms to meet the printing needs. Users are required to sign on the network with their network accounts in order to use the network printers. After logging into the network, users can use their print quota to print using these network printers.
To save the environment, print only when necessary. When you print, select the appropriate printer. It is always a good practice to do a preview before actual printing. Usually this can be done by choosing File -> Print Preview from a software application such as MS Word. Moreover, if you are going to print a large document, you are recommended to print only a few pages for checking before printing the whole document. If necessary, you may cancel a print job through the Control Panel. See the following sections for more details.
- Printing Facilities
- Printing to a Network Printer
- Duplex Printing
- Check the Print Job Status & Cancel the Print Job
The following table shows the numbers and types of network printers available in each computer room.
|Campus||Room No.||A4 B/W Printers||A4 Colour Printers||A3 B/W Printers||A3 Colour Printers|
|C-LP-21 & Open Access Area||1||3||2|
|G/F, MMW Library||3|
|Tseung Kwan O Study Centre||305||1||1|
Each network printer in the computer rooms is associated with a unique name (e.g. BW Printer LC-MP2). With the printer name, you will be able to select the printer to which the PC sends the print jobs.
Suppose we want to print a document in MS Word:
- Select Print Preview from the File menu and see if it looks fine. It is a good practice to preview the document before actual printing.
- If everything is OK, select File -> Print.
- A Print dialogue box will pop up. Choose the appropriate network printer from the Name field.
- Click OK to start sending the print job.
Please be patient while your document is being printed. In fact, your print request will be sent to a print server for queuing up before sending to the corresponding network printer. You are recommended to check the print job status through the Control Panel (see the following section).
Many network printers in the computer rooms come with duplex module. Users can print in duplex to save paper and reduce the printing cost.
- To print in duplex mode, choose print from your application.
- Select your desired printer, then click the Properties button.
- Depending on the printer model, choose the duplex option to print on both sides.
- For example:
- Ricoh MP6500/7000: Change to the Setup tab then choose Open to Left (or Open to Top)
- Konica Minolta C360: Change to the Layout tab then choose 2-Sided under Print Type
- On the taskbar, select Start -> Settings -> Printers and Faxes.
- Double-click the corresponding network printer. The status of all print jobs for this printer, if there is any, will be shown.
Once you find you have sent a wrong document and the document is not yet printed, you can cancel the print job. To cancel the job, select the print job first, then choose Document -> Cancel.