OCIO is providing network services to the residents of the Student Hostels, the Staff Quarters and the Visitors' Centre. Residents can easily connect their devices in their rooms either via the wired network (by connecting to the physical network data ports) or the Hostels wireless network, and use the available network services, e.g. access to the Internet, Intranet and email service.
Note: Users are not allowed to connect any personal router to the hostel network.
How to Get Connected
To get connected, you need to have your own computer and software. The following is a typical example of equipment and software required:
Using Wired Network
What do you need?:
- Computer / Mobile devices with Ethernet network card
- Network cable (UTP RJ-45 Ethernet cable)
- Internet Browser
To connect to the wired network:
Type of UserLogin with
Students in Student Hostels personal network account and password Staff in Staff Quarters & Visitors' Centre Guests or Visitors in Staff Quarters & Visitors' Centre Account name and password of your quarters
- Once the equipment and software are ready, the computer should be physically connected to a network data port of the Aruba network access device with a network cable. The following picture shows an Aruba network access device.
The Aruba network access device is mounted in a way that you will find
the data ports at the top side. You may use either data port
"E1" or "E2" (see the picture below).
- To connect to the Hostels and Quarters wired network, you need to start your browser (e.g. Internet Explorer). You will be redirected to the "Hostels and Quarters Network login page". Next, login with a valid account:
- Once authenticated successfully, you can access the campus network and the Internet. Please keep the login page open so as to maintain the connectivity. Closing the login page will terminate the connection and you have to restart your browser to get connected again.
Using Wireless Network
What do you need?:
- Computer with wireless network card / Mobile devices with wireless capability.
To connect to the wireless network:
Choose the SSID "Hostel" / "Hostel5G" (for residents of
student hostels) or "Quarters" (for residents of staff quarters
& Visitors' Centre) and login with your personal network username
and password (Note: For Guests or Visitors in staff quarters &
Visitors' Centre, please use the account name and password of the
quarters). For detailed settings on various systems, please visit "Wireless Network Connection for staff and students through
- Choose the SSID "Hostel" / "Hostel5G" (for residents of student hostels) or "Quarters" (for residents of staff quarters & Visitors' Centre) and login with your personal network username and password (Note: For Guests or Visitors in staff quarters & Visitors' Centre, please use the account name and password of the quarters). For detailed settings on various systems, please visit "Wireless Network Connection for staff and students through WPA/WPA2".
Support Service for Hostels and Quarters Network
OCIO provides support service to ensure that the Hostels and Quarters network is working properly. Whereas the occupants should take full responsibilities with their own computing hardware and software. If you suspect that there are problems with the network access device in your room, or if you have any problem/queries in using the Hostels and Quarters network, please contact IT Help Desk at 2948 6601 during office hours.
To improve the security of the network and to protect users from abnormal traffic from virus infected PCs, users have to login with a valid account and password before the computer can actually connect to the campus network and the Internet. Moreover, to prevent attacks from Internet intruders, any servers such as WWW server or FTP server setup in the hostels will NOT be accessible outside the hostels. Note also that users of the network should abide to the rules and regulations set for the use of computer facilities and services at EdUHK, detailed at "Computing Policies and Regulations".
For applications requiring direct communication between hostel rooms, users need to login VPN connection after login to the Hostels and Quarters Network captive portal as shown above.
Using Anti-Virus Software
Users should take good care of their computers in order not to affect the normal operation of the network. We highly recommended users to install anti-virus software and update their Windows system regularly. Note that we have made available an anti-virus software to our staff and students for home use. Each member is entitled to use the software in ONE computer at home during the subscription period. If required, you may download the software from our website. For more details about the anti-virus software or to download the software, please click here.
Measures Against Abnormal Traffic
To ensure the normal operation of the network, swift measures must be taken to disconnect PCs tampering with the network or monopolise the bandwidth such as PCs spreading virus or consuming a lot of bandwidth. P2P file sharing software is not allowed in the network as it will easily use up a lot of network bandwidth and affect the normal operation of the network.
If the abnormal traffic is affecting the whole network seriously, we have to disable the network port/access rights until the problem is solved. Residents concerned should fix the problem before OCIO will resume the network services for the network port/access rights.