Email is an official communication channel in the University. All members of the University will have their email accounts and mailboxes created automatically. With a valid account, user could use email software to exchange messages with members of the University or the Internet community.
Currently, the student email services comes as part of G Suite for Education provided by Google. It is a collection of web-based programs including Google Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sites and Google Groups, providing each student with unlimited storage space. Students could keep using the Google account after graduation.
For email, Google Gmail is a popular webmail system which can be accessed easily with a web browser on an Internet-connected computer. In case you do not have much experience about Google Gmail, you could read the online guide "G Suite Learning Center" to get the basics – using the system for sending/reading/deleting emails, searching emails, setting up Vacation Responder (i.e. auto-reply), and many more.
Below are some useful information about the G Suite for Education services for the students:
- Full Email Address - The full email address is of format firstname.lastname@example.org where xxxxxxx is first 7 digits of your student number.
- G Suite Website - To use G Suite, please go to http://webmail.eduhk.hk/ and click ‘Students’. You will also find the link at The Portal (http://portal.eduhk.hk/).
- Login Username - The login username for accessing G Suite is your full email address.
- G Suite Password - You will have a separate password for the G Suite Account. Since G Suite and The Portal are different systems, changing the G Suite password will not change The Portal password. However, if you change your password from The Portal, the G Suite password will be changed at the same time.
- Initial G Suite Password - Initial password for your G Suite account is a combination of your student number and HKID/passport number. Please see G Suite for Education - Student FAQ for the details.
- Continuation of G Suite Account - Students could continue to use the G Suite account after graduation.
Please also see G Suite for Education - Student FAQ for more related information about the student email services.