Zoom is a cloud based service which provides simple online meetings, content sharing, and video conferencing capability. You do not need a Zoom account to attend a Zoom meeting, only the host is required to have an account to enable the scheduling of meetings. All staff and students can use their EdUHK account to log into Zoom.
This service is accessible in Hong Kong, overseas as well as Mainland China. Each meeting supports up to 300 participants. Zoom supports platforms like iPhones, iPads, Androids, PC or Mac.
Note: If you have difficulties visiting https://zoom.us in mainland China, please try the following:
- Visit https://zoom.com.cn
- Select "JOIN A MEETING"
- Provide the MEETING ID and Password (if any)
(Note: Mainland users need to provide a phone number to verify their identity to join the meeting.)
The meeting host will need a PC, Notebook or MacBook with a web camera and microphone. It is recommended users to wear a headset with microphone which will greatly improve the sound quality. OCIO had distributed some USB cameras and headsets for departments for share as well.
How to access and signup a Zoom account
- Open any web browser and visit https://eduhk.zoom.us. (The system will display the EdUHK Zoom portal. You can Join, Host and Sign in to Zoom service here.)
- Click "Sign In".
- Login with your EdUHK username and password.
- Your Zoom account will be automatically created. The system landing page will be displayed after successful login.
During the online meeting, user can:
- Manage Participants ‐‐‐ you can choose to mute individual participants or all of them.
- Share ‐‐- you can share a particular window on your desktop, a white board or files on cloud storages like Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive.
- Chat ‐‐‐ you can send text messages to the participant with this function.
- Record ‐‐‐ you can record the video and audio of the session by clicking on this button. The recording will be available after the meeting ends.
- End Meeting ‐‐‐ click this button to end the meeting.
How to Schedule or Start the online meeting?
For details on how to Schedule, Start and Join the online meeting, please visit - "Hosting online meeting with Zoom".
Download Zoom desktop client or Zoom mobile app
User can download and install the Zoom desktop client on their Windows PC or Mac. You can download the app and login with your EdUHK account to access the Zoom service.
For desktop computer: (Windows and Mac)
- Please visit https://zoom.us/download
Apart from the desktop version off Zoom desktop client. There are native mobile app available. You can download the app and login with your EdUHK account to access the Zoom service.
Zoom Mobile Apps - Start, join and schedule meetings; send group text, images and push-to-talk messages on mobile devices.
Please also see Zoom FAQ for more related information.
- For functional account, user must enable the email feature in order to access the Zoom system.
- Zoom Reports can be retrieved for the last 12 months, with a search range of up to one month at a time. If a meeting is not started in 30 days and is batch deleted by Zoom, the reports for the meeting are also deleted. For details, please visit "Getting started with reports".