Zoom is a cloud based service which provides simple online meetings, content sharing, and video conferencing capability. You do not need a Zoom account to attend a Zoom meeting and only the host is required to have an account to enable the scheduling of meetings. All staff and students can use their EdUHK account to log into Zoom.
This service is accessible in Hong Kong, overseas as well as in Mainland China. Each meeting supports up to 300 participants. Zoom supports platforms like iPhones, iPads, Androids, PC and Mac.
Note: Users in mainland China must download the Zoom app and sign in with EdUHK’s Single-Sign-On (SSO) system to join or host meetings. VPN is not required. To download the app, please see "Download Zoom desktop client or Zoom mobile app".
The meeting host will need a PC, Notebook or MacBook with a web camera and microphone. It is recommended that users should wear a headset with microphone for better audio quality. OCIO distributed some USB cameras and headsets for departments for share use as well.
Advice to Zoom Users at EdUHK
Users are recommended to do the followings:
General features of Zoom
During the online meeting, users can:
- Manage Participants ‐‐‐ you can choose to mute individual participants or all of them.
- Share --- you can share a particular window on your desktop, a white board or a file on cloud storages like Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive.
- Chat ‐‐‐ you can send text messages to the participant(s) with this function.
- Record ‐‐‐ you can record the video and audio of the session by clicking on this button. The recording will be available after the meeting ends.
- End Meeting ‐‐‐ click this button to end the meeting.
How to Access, Schedule and Start the online meeting?
For details on how to Schedule, Start and Join the online meeting, please visit - "Hosting online meetings with Zoom".
Download Zoom desktop client or Zoom mobile app
Users can download and install the Zoom desktop client on their Windows PC or Mac. You can download the app and login with your EdUHK account to access the Zoom service.
For desktop computer: (Windows and Mac)
- Please visit https://zoom.us/download
Apart from the desktop version of Zoom desktop client, there are native mobile app available. You can download the app and login with your EdUHK account to access the Zoom service.
Zoom Mobile Apps - Start, join and schedule meetings; send group text, images and push-to-talk messages on mobile devices.
Please also see Zoom FAQ for more information.
- For functional accounts, users must enable the email feature in order to access the Zoom system.
- Zoom Reports can be retrieved for the last 12 months, with a search range of up to one month at a time. If a meeting is not started in 30 days and is batch deleted by Zoom, the reports for the meeting are also deleted. For details, please visit "Getting started with reports".
- Cloud recordings: Starting from 14 April 2020, password protection for shared cloud recordings is now on by default for all accounts. Zoom also enhanced the complexity of passwords on your cloud recordings. Existing shared recordings are not affected. For details, please visit https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/04/14/enhanced-password-capabilities-for-zoom-meetings-webinars-cloud-recordings/.