If you are using Windows and installed with Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise, you may receive this kind of mail. This is due to the Heuristics function is enabled for e-mail scan by default.
The Heuristics feature will scan your incoming mail for:
- Find unknown program viruses
- Find unknown macro viruses
- Find attachments with multiple extensionsTo disable the Heuristics for e-mail scan:
- Right-click your mouse on top of the icon in your system tray
- Choose VirusScan Console... from the popup menu.
- Double click E-mail Scan.
- Change to the Advanced tab. Under the Heuristics group, uncheck all the three options.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Note: Turning off the options may increase the possibilities of infection by unknown viruses. Heuristic scanning is a method of scanning files in which Scan not only tries to match the files to the signatures of known viruses, but it also looks for telltale signs of viruses in the files.