You can set up an online meeting up to 250 participants using Skye for Business (SfB). This can be used for online presentations (your audience isn't limited to those within EdUHK domain), online/hybrid courses, group/committe work, or in lieu of face to face meetings. Once you set up the meeting, you can send the link out to your attendees via email or make the link available on a website or Moodle. Attendees who do not have Skype for Business downloaded onto their machines or devices will be prompted to download a plugin to participate.
For the organizer, make sure you have Skype for Business (SfB) (not Skype) installed on your computer. If not, please click the link (For Windows / For Mac ) to download and install it.
- Create a meeting room link to send to attendees
- Sharing the Link and Starting Your Meeting
- Join Meeting using the link (For Participants)
- How to share the Desktop or a Program
- How to grant Presenter Role to a participant during the meeting
Create a meeting room link to send to attendees
- Go to https://sched.lync.com. This is the Skype for Business Web Scheduler. From this site you can begin creating meeting room links to distribute to your attendees, log into the meetings you've created, and delete meetings.
- Sign in with your EdUHK email (email@example.com), click Next and then enter your password.
- Enter the Event Name, any other relevant details, and then click Save. (The default settings are the best options for typical online meetings and webinars, so entering the Event Name, checking time zone, date/time and clicking Save is all you need to get started. You can always come back to the Skype for Business Web Scheduler to edit or update any of this information later--see below for more information on settings.)
- For the "Who is a presenter", it would be better to set it as Organizer Only. Otherwise, all participants will have the "Presenter Role". (To grant "Presenter Role" during meeting, please refer to "How to grant Presenter Role to a participant during the meeting".)
- By default, meeting room URLs expire 14 days after the End Date. To prevent this set End Date well into the future.
- Click Save
More Information on Settings
Attendees and Audio: (For closed meeting)
For a closed meeting, enter Attendee login name, email addresses or full names, separating each person by a semicolon ";". Click the Check Names button to make sure they are added correctly. (*For those with common first and last names, use email addresses rather than full names.)
The options underlined below are the recommended settings for most cases.
Who will bypass the lobby:
- Organizer only - You will be the only one who gets into the meeting directly. Everyone else must wait to be admitted (by the organizer). This is recommended for highly confidential meetings.
- People I invite from my company - Only people who were invited in the Attendees and Audio list may enter immediately, everyone else must wait to be admitted.
- People from my company - Only people who log in with Stony Brook credentials can get into the meeting directly without being admitted.
- Everyone including people outside my company (default setting) - Anyone who received the link to the meeting can enter immediately without being individually admitted.
Who is a Presenter:
- Organizer only - Only you will present but you can designate others to present during the meeting. This is suitable for online or hybrid courses and online presentations to large groups.
- People from my organization (default setting) - Anyone logging in with their EdUHK credentials will have the ability to present upon entering the meeting. This is appropriate for team meetings, group work or small committees.
- Everyone including people outside my organization - Anyone who enters the room will have the ability to present upon entering the meeting. This is appropriate for meetings and collaboration with people who do not have EdUHK credentials to participate.
- People I choose - Organizers can list who the presenters are prior to the meeting time as a time-saving option. When this option is chosen, a box will appear for you to enter the first and last names or email addresses of your presenters. Separate each person with a semicolon and click the Check Names button to make sure they are added correctly.
Sharing the Link and Starting Your Meeting
Make sure you have Skype for Business installed on your computer. If not, please click the link (For Windows / For Mac ) to download and install it.
- Once you save the meeting, you'll see a screen with a link to it. Copy and paste the meeting link into an email and send this to your attendees with details about the meeting.
- When you are ready to start your webinar, go to https://sched.lync.com, click the back arrow button next to New Meeting to see your meetings list,
- Select your meeting under My Meetings and click Join.
- Clicking on the meeting room link will open the Skype for Business conversation window.
- Choose Join with Skype for Business (Desktop) when prompt. (Make sure you have Skype for Business installed on your computer.)
- For the first time, you will prompt for the audio setup. Choose Use Skype for Business (full audio and video experience). Then click OK
- You can manage participant, send IMs, turn on video, mute mic, present content, leave the meeting, start a recording, change font size and color, end a meeting and invite others. The image below illustrate the all the features available.
- Be sure to turn on and setup your Microphone and Camera and any Whiteboard materials, Polls or Q & A in advanced, prior to your session.
Join Meeting using the link (For Participants)
Participants who have the meeting room link can open it with a web browser to join the meeting.
- Open the meeting room link (It may be from email, website, Moodle and etc.)
- If you don't have Skype for Business installed. You can choose Install and join with Skype Meeting App (web). Otherwise choose Join with Skype for Business (Desktop) when prompt.
- Enter a display name when prompt.
- If you system prompt for the Windows Security alert, please click "Allow access".
- Then you will able to join the meeting/webinar.
How to share the Desktop or a Program
Organizer can share the Desktop or any program screen to participants (e.g. PowerPoint).
- Firstly, open the program you want to share (e.g. PowerPoint).
- Click the "Share content" button.
- Choose "Share a Window"
- Select the program you want to share (e.g. PowerPoint). Then click the Share button.
- Then you need to start your PowerPoint in slide show mode (Press F5).
- To stop the sharing, move your mouse pointer to the top of the screen. Click the "Stop Sharing"
Note: Please note the the "Share PowerPoint File" feature will upload the file to the meeting (NOT sharing the screen to attendee). Participant can download the uploaded file. You can click the "Share Content -> Manage content" to view the file upload.
How to grant Presenter Role to a participant during the meeting
Organizer can grant participant (attendee) to become the presenter during meeting, please follow the steps below:
- During the meeting, right click on the icon of the participant.
- Choose Make a Presenter.
- From now on, that participant will have the "Presenter Role".
- To revert the presenter role, right click on the icon of the participant.
- Choose Make An Attendee