With Virtual Private Network (VPN), staff and students can make secure connection from their home computers or mobile devices to the campus network over the Internet. Data transmitted via VPN connection are encrypted. Users can access certain restricted IT services such as DMS, software on Citrix, Horizon Cloud Storage and etc, use SPSS, and make connection to some central network servers using SFTP client software outside the campus.
The FortiGate appliance was launched to provide VPN service in 2010. However, the FortiGate VPN did not offer client software for iOS devices. To improve accessibility of our VPN service so that PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices can make secure connection to the campus network, a new VPN service using the “Palo Alto GlobalProtect” technology (GlobalProtect VPN) was launched in September 2014.
The GlobalProtect VPN requires users to install the GlobalProtect software on their device(s). It then establishes a virtual tunnel to the campus network with authentication using the user’s EdUHK network account and password. For security reasons, the GlobalProtect VPN client software should NOT be used on public computers. Please install and use the software only on computers protected with up-to-date anti-virus software and firewall protection.
Note: The FortiGate VPN service was retired in October 2014.
Using GlobalProtect VPN
1. Client Software for Windows and Mac
Desktop computer or notebook users please visit https://vpn.eduhk.hk to download and install the “GlobalProtect” client software.Supported systems:
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 - (Download Windows 32 bit / Windows 64 bit GlobalProtect agent v5.x)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11 and later - (Download Mac 32/64 bit GlobalProtect agent version 5.x) *(Please right click the link and choose "save link as")
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10 and earlier - (Download Mac 32/64 bit GlobalProtect agent version 3.x) *(Please right click the link and choose "save link as")
- Linux (Support CentOS 7, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7/Ubuntu 14.04 and later releases) - (Download the GlobalProtect app for Linux.)
Note: For details, please visit Palo Alto Networks® Compatibility Matrix
Please refer to the following user guides for more information.
2. Native Apps for Mobile devices
Mobile device users can install “GlobalProtect” app available on Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).Supported systems:
- Android 5.0 and later
- Apple iOS 12 and later
Please refer to the following user guides for more information on making VPN connection using the respective mobile apps:
Note: VPN connection ceases automatically every 4 hours. The time out for idle sessions is 2 hours.