Transition of the EdUHK Video Portal from Ensemble to Panopto
The Ensemble video portal will no longer support video uploading from 1 Jan 2022. The full library of video contents and statistical data will be kept in the user accounts until 31 Aug 2022. On 1 Mar 2022, all videos residing in the Ensemble video portal (including video links) will be automatically migrated to Panopto. Ensemble video portal service will come to an end on 30 Apr 2022.
Ahead of the migration, you can use Panopto via https://eduhk.ap.panopto.com/. Panopto has already been integrated with Moodle. For more information about how to use Panopto, please visit https://www.eduhk.hk/ocio/eduhk-video.
EdUHK Video Portal
The EdUHK Video Portal, based on the Ensemble Video platform, allows video management, publishing and sharing with security control for teaching, learning, research and administrative purposes. Users can easily upload and share videos on the platform. Besides making your own videos and sharing them on the Video Portal, users may also choose to use the Lecture Capture Services to have your lecture captured for publishing on web.
- Easy to upload and share video clips
- Supports streaming to various devices such as computers, laptops & mobile devices
- Audio description generation or upload
- Supports multiple captions/subtitles
- Customised thumbnail generation
- Security control
- Schedule publishing
- Permalink and embed link generation
- Social network sharing
How to access the Video Portal?
To access the Video Portal, please visit https://evideo.eduhk.hk with any modern web browsers and login with your EdUHK network account and password. It is recommended NOT to use VPN when using Ensemble video portal in Mainland China.
To upload and publish a video
- Make sure you have a video file (in MP4 format) ready for upload. (Note: Please refer to the Notes and recommendations session below on recommended file format.)
- Visit https://evideo.eduhk.hk and login with your EdUHK network account and password.
- Click the +Add button.
- Enter a title for the video (required), and any other information such as description, keywords and credits, if needed.
- Click Continue to save and go to the next step: Manage Content.
- Select the desired Media Workflow (if more than one are available).
- Click Add File and select the file you would like to upload.
- Click Start Upload when ready. Click Cancel Upload if you wish to cancel uploading once it has begun.
- Once your video file is listed in the Media table, the status of the video will be displayed. Proceed to the Publish session form by clicking Continue.
- Click the Preview button to view your video.
- Click the Publish button to publish the video. The Un-Publish button will return the video to its initial unpublished status, where it is only viewable from the Media Library.
- On the Media Library page, click the Permalink button under the video clip to generate a static and permanent public hyperlink. You can copy and paste the public hyperlink to share it.
For details, please see the "Video Portal User Guide ".
Or you can refer to the official user guide from Ensemble for more information: https://help.ensemblevideo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003894426-Adding-a-New-Video
Besides sharing the video to the public, the system allows users to set up access control of your video to the following groups of EdUHK users.
- EdUHK_Staff --- only EdUHK staff can view the video after login.
- EdUHK_Students --- only EdUHK student can view the video after login
- EdUHK_functional_accounts --- only users of functional accounts can view the video after login.
The platform provides a wide range of video analytic information like content popularity, percentage viewed and many more. You can also export a report for retention.
Please refer to the following user guide for more information: https://help.ensemblevideo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003997186-Reporting
Notes and recommendations:
- The default quota for user is:
- For staff: 50GB
- For student: 5GB
- For copyrighted materials, users should ensure that they have obtained relevant permission from the copyright owner before publishing the content.
- The quality of video depends on bit rate but it affects the video size. For instance, a one-hour video file at bit rate of 3 Mbps (1920 x 1080 pixels) is about 1.3 GB.
- Users are recommended to use mp4 (H.264) video format, which is more portable. It can be played on both PCs and Macs. For portable devices, mp4 videos can be played on most Android and iOS systems.
- Recommended video formats to upload:
For HD Video: For SD Video: Video:
- File format:
- Streaming bitrate:
- MPEG-4 (MP4)
- 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
- 5 Mbps or lower
- MPEG-4 (MP4)
- 1280 x 720 (720p)
- 3 Mbps or lower
- File format:
- 192kbps or lower
- 192kbps or lower
- There are many software packages available in the market that convert videos to mp4 format. One of which is “Any Video Converter Free”. Most of the video camcorders also support mp4 (H.264).
Sample Videos on Video Portal
Here are some video samples embedded below for your references.
- Sample 1: Lecture capture video with Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Embed code with Title turned on, embed as thumbnail.
- Sample 2: Self-upload video (burn-in caption)
Embed code with Title turned off
- Sample 3: Self-upload video (upload multiple captions)
Embed code with Title turned on, closed caption turned on.
Resources and Support
- For the official Ensemble Video System User Guides, please visit - https://help.ensemblevideo.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000503863-User-Guides.
- To prepare screencasts, users might use tools like OBS Studio (for Windows, MacOS, Linux) or Quicktime (for MacOS).
- To produce professional looking photos and videos in a self-service mode., users could use OCIO's Photo and Video Studio.
- To edit and encode videos, users could come to the video editing stations at Learning Commons (near the network printers).
For more information about the Ensemble Video services, please contact Mr. Stephen Tong at 2948 7438 or Mr. Kwan at 2948 6518.