Even though Friends account (for staff) and Student account are both using the G Suite for Education service, they are on different domains - "@friends.eduhk.hk" (Friends account for staff) and "@s.eduhk.hk" (for students/staff). You CANNOT share file directly on Google drive using the organization option like "On - The Education University of Hong Kong" or "On - Anyone at The Education University of Hong Kong with the link" from Friends account to Student account and vice versa.
How to share?
To share file/folder to accounts on different domain, please follow the steps below:
(This example will share a folder from the "Friends" domain account to a students domain account)
- Login Google drive with the account you are going to share the file (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- From the folder path (on the top), click on the folder name and choose "Share..." or right click the folder name on the left panel and choose "Share...".
- Enter the full email address of people you want to share the folder with (i.e. email@example.com)
- Then you can choose the permission such as "View only" or allow "Organize, add & edit".
- You can add a note. Then click "Send". The system will send a email notification to the people you added with a link to access the share folder.
- You will find a alert message saying that you are sharing to people not in the same organization. Click "Yes" to continue.
- Then the recipient can access the shared folder by clicking the email link. Or login Google drive and go to "Shared with me" on the left panel
You can access the share permission later on to modify the people list from the "Advanced" option.
Note: Please avoid to use the option"On - Anyone with the link", which is not secure. Anyone with the link can access the file/link.