The Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL) at The Education University of Hong Kong aims to equip students with the subject knowledge expected of English language teachers in Hong Kong and internationally. For students who are interested in acquiring teaching qualification in Hong Kong, they are recommended to take relevant teaching qualification programme (e.g. PGDE) in conjunction with MATESOL.
The Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs) are as follows. Graduates will demonstrate:
- an advanced level of knowledge of the structures and functions of the English language (PILO1);
- a critical understanding of the functions and status of English in different parts of the world, the emergence of localised varieties of English, and the use of English as an international language for lingua franca communication (PILO2);
- a high level of awareness of the theories of mind and social context that shape state-of-the-art practice in TESOL (PILO3);
- an ability to apply theories of first and second language learning to practical problems in English language learning and teaching (PILO4);
- an ability to evaluate language curricula, assessments, and teaching and learning materials (PILO5);
- (for dissertation strands) an ability to apply advanced knowledge of language learning and teaching theory in the context of independent inquiry and the writing-up of research findings (PILO6);
- an ability to use appropriate spoken and written English to communicate in academic and professional contexts, using English at the level expected for IELTS 7.0 or equivalent (PILO7).
All MATESOL degree strands meet the Education Bureau’s Postgraduate Subject Knowledge requirements for English teaching in Hong Kong. For details, please refer to the Education Bureau website (http://www.edb.gov.hk).