Applicants should hold a recognised Bachelor's degree and preferably meet at least one of the following requirements:
- a recognised language teaching qualification; or
- working experience in TESOL.
Holders of a bachelor's degree in disciplines other than English may also be considered.
Candidates without a teaching qualification should be aware that MATESOL is an advanced academic qualification that is most valuable in conjunction with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (English) (PGDE or equivalent) qualification. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution in a non-English speaking system should normally fulfil one of the following minimum English proficiency requirements:
- IELTS 7.0 with subtest no lower than 6.5; or
- a TOEFL score of 100 (internet-based test); or
- other equivalent qualifications.