EdUHK Signs MOU with Six Vietnamese Leading Teacher Training Universities
Today (8 May) The Education University of Hong Kong (EdUHK) signed a three-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with six leading Vietnamese teacher training universities to promote internationalisation and strengthen the University’s collaboration with its counterparts.
The six Vietnamese teacher training universities are (in alphabetical order): (1) Hanoi National University of Education, (2) Ho Chi Minh City University of Education, (3) Hue University of Education, (4) National Academy of Education Management, (5) Thai Nguyen University of Education and (6) Vinh University. The MOU aims to enhance academic exchange and collaboration, and promote greater knowledge and understanding of the history, culture, and economic and social life of the region.
The MOUs are an extension of the World Bank’s consultancy project awarded to EdUHK last October to enhance teacher education in Vietnam through capacity building of leading teacher training universities. EdUHK stood out from top universities and education consultancies from North America, Europe, Asia and Australia in the selection process.
EdUHK President Professor Stephen Cheung Yan-leung said, “Knowledge transcends boundaries. The MOUs present a win-win situation for EdUHK and our Vietnam counterparts. We are particularly pleased to contribute our expertise and knowledge to promote the long-term development of teacher education in Vietnam, the region and beyond.”
In a related development, the University has set up an International Advisory Group (IAG), which is a high-level platform for soliciting strategic advice and input from internationally renowned education scholars for the University’s internationalisation drive.
Chaired by EdUHK President Professor Stephen Cheung Yan-leung, the IAG is composed of 11 members, who make up a who’s who in the field of international education (in alphabetical order):
- Professor Christopher Day, Emeritus Professor of Education of the School of Education of the University of Nottingham;
- Professor Becky Francis, Director of the University College London Institute of Education;
- Professor Michael Fullan, Professor Emeritus of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto;
- Professor Ruth Hayhoe, Professor of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto (also EdUHK President Emeritus);
- Professor Lee Shulman, Emeritus Professor of the Graduate School of Education Stanford University;
- Professor Zhong Binglin, former President of Beijing Normal University; and
- Senior Management members of EdUHK
The IAG will advise the University in various areas, such as programme offerings, student learning at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, research and knowledge transfer, and international collaboration and strategic partnerships, with a view to further deepening the University’s integration and connection with its partners from overseas and the Greater China region for development collaboration on all fronts.
For media enquiries, please contact Ms Sharon Ng of the Communications Office at 2948 6053 / 9197 7876.