This programme aims to equip students with:
- high proficiency in English necessary for fulfilling the language exit requirement as stipulated by the University;
- in-depth knowledge of the English language;
- abilities to help students in primary schools in Hong Kong to learn English as a second language effectively;
- lifelong learning skills and are able to appreciate moral, social and cultural values;
- the aptitude to work collaboratively with students, parents, colleagues, school administrators and other professionals; and
- understanding of education issues of Hong Kong and will react to educational innovations positively.
Monica WONG Yin Ping
The BEd(EL) programme has enabled me to realise my dream, which is to become a teacher, and built my confidence to work in the education field. Through the courses I took over the years, I gained exposure to the fields of linguistics and literature, as well as education and pedagogy. Moreover, I was given opportunities to put what I had learnt into practice and participate in a variety of field experience-related activities as I progressed through the programme — for example, sharing sessions given by our alumni and retired principals, attachment programmes hosted by local schools, and most importantly, teaching practicums for us to gain hands-on teaching experience in authentic school settings. The rich experiences offered by the BEd(EL) programme have indeed prepared me well for meeting the future challenges of being a local English teacher.
Please visit Contact Us.