There are several key items to consider and take action on before you leave:
Obtain a valid passport and make sure you have received your visa label from EdUHK Global Affairs Office and stick the label to a blank page in your passport
Complete and submit the accommodation application form
Arrange travel and health insurance
Make sure you only bring what you will really need. Most general items can be bought in Hong Kong.
- Passport with valid student visa (You must show your visa permit to the Immigration Officer upon arrival in Hong Kong as he/she needs to stamp on your visa permit to activate your visa)
- The letter of acceptance from EdUHK and original copies of your qualifications
- Copy of your personal insurance policy (if any)
- Regular medication (if any) and a copy of the prescription
- Casual wear e.g. jeans, t-shirts
- Clothing for formal occasions
- Clothes for sports activities
- Extra pairs of shoes or clothing if you are above average size
*Preferably you should obtain some Hong Kong dollars prior to your arrival. Alternatively, you can use the money exchange services at Hong Kong International Airport and local banks.
You can either bring the following items or purchase them when you arrive in Hong Kong.
- Laptop computer
- Electricity transformer – Hong Kong uses 220V
- Bed sheets, blanket and pillows, as these are not provided by EdUHK residential halls
- Books and stationery
- Electrical appliances e.g. hairdryer
The living standard is comparatively high in Hong Kong. However, on average, the price of daily commodities is low. How much money you will need during your time in Hong Kong will depend on individual needs and lifestyle choices. The following table provides a general reference:
|Accommodation (on-campus)*||HK$5,530-11,070 (US$710-1,420)/semester|
|Hall Life Education*||HK$220 (US$28) / one-off payment|
|Local transportation^||HK$500-800 (US$65-100) / month|
*Subject to annual review.
^The amount varies depending on individual lifestyle.
Note: All figures are for reference only.