Non-local Postgraduate students

Non-local Postgraduate students

Are the qualifications awarded by EdUHK internationally recognised?

Yes, EdUHK is one of the eight government-funded universities in Hong Kong and its undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral qualifications are internationally recognised.

Do I need to submit any referee’s report / study statement / research proposal / artwork portfolio in support of my application?

Some programmes may require applicants to provide the above documents. Please click here for details.

Will I need to attend an interview?

Interview is not mandatory for all programmes and only some have interview arrangements. If applicants are invited to attend an interview, their interview performance will also be considered.

Is it necessary to pass the medical check before admitting to EdUHK?

Medical check is not compulsory in programme admission.  However, students are recommended to have their own insurance before arrival.

How can I submit my student visa/entry permit application?

Applicants are required to send the completed visa application form and required supporting documents by courier to our Registry before the stipulated deadline on the offer letter issued by the University. (Address: Admissions, Registrations and Academic Planning Section, Room A-2/F-07, Cho Kwai Chee Foundation Building, The Education University of Hong Kong, 10 Lo Ping Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong).

How long does the student visa application takes to be approved? Am I able to urge the visa application progress?

GAO will send your visa application materials to the Immigration Department of the HKSAR for review.  It normally takes at least 6-8 weeks to complete the process. Kindly note that June-August are the peak season for visa applications in the Immigration Department and therefore the visa processing time is usually prolonged. Students are highly recommended to submit their visa applications as early as possible.  After the applicants have submitted the required academic documents to Registry and the documents are verified to the satisfaction of the University, GAO will send the e-visa to students by email.

Should I have any questions regarding the student visa application, who can I contact?

Please visit GAO website for more information. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us (Email:; Enquiry number: (852) 29487654). 

Are there any scholarships offered to postgraduate/doctoral degree students? How can I be eligible for the scholarships?

EdUHK provides a full range of scholarships which are awarded mainly based on academic merit. Also considered are community service, extra-curricular activities, leadership ability and other criteria stipulated by donors. The scholarships aim to encourage students to achieve greater accomplishments and recognise their outstanding academic achievements. Most scholarships are offered by education-minded external organisations and individuals. For details, please visit the website of our Student Affairs Office.

In addition, the HKSAR government provides Hong Kong PhD Fellowship to new full-time PhD students and you may visit its website for more details.

Does EdUHK offer the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme?

EdUHK offers the Hong Kong PhD Scholarship Scheme, which aims to attract outstanding postgraduate students worldwide to pursue research-based PhD programmes in UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong. Candidates who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply. Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities. For details, please visit the website of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.

Where can I find ATM and banking services?

There are more than one automated teller machines (ATMs) on campus, or you may find different banks in the neighboring areas such as Tai Po Centre and Tai Po Market.

As a non-local student, what documents are required for opening a bank account?

  • Document required for opening a bank account depends on the banks’ request. Normally, all of the following documents are needed:
  • Passport with valid student visa;
  • Hong Kong ID Card (if any);
  • Valid national ID card (i.e. issued by the government or country);
  • Residential address proof (for both original country and Hong Kong) (Students can use the residential address proof issued by the University’s hall);
  • Minimum account opening amount of HKD100 (requirements varied in different banks);
  • Student ID card; and
  • Valid university offer letter

I have some enquiries about the postgraduate/doctoral degree programmes. Is there any contact for enquires?

The Graduate School’s website is useful and the relevant contacts can be found there.

We Would Love To Hear From You

Do you have
any enquiries?

Contact Us
Scroll To Top
Help Contact