• EN
Visa Application and Extension

Visa Application and Extension

Please find the important information on visa arrangement for students from one-year Taught Postgraduate Programmes of September 2021 intake. 



A student visa is a must for non-local students (unless you have right of abode in Hong Kong) who wish to study in Hong Kong and you will need to apply for it before you arrive. A person who enters Hong Kong as a visitor cannot become a student at a school, university or other educational institution.

The visa application process normally takes around six weeks from the Immigration Department after all necessary documents are received.

The information below applies to overseas students. For students from China, Macau and Taiwan, please refer to the Chinese version of this page.

How to apply

Global Affairs Office (GAO) will assist you with student visa/entry permit application. Non-local students (except those from Greater China region) are required to email GAO the following documents for checking purpose. The checking process is to avoid extra postage / any delay in the application process. Once the confirmation from GAO is received, completed visa application form together with required documents MUST be mailed to GAO.

  1. Completed Part A of the Visa Application Form affixed with a passport-sized photo. Please read through A Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong prepared by the Hong Kong Immigration Department. You may refer to our sample.
  2. A copy of your passport info page containing your personal details, and dates of issue and expiry.*
  3. A copy of your financial proof in English. It can be a letter issued by your bank or bank statement, payroll slips, documents for your loan and welfare, income proof of your sponsor, scholarship, etc.
  4. If you are under the age of 18, one of your parents should authorize his/her relative/friend in the HKSAR to be your guardian. A consent letter duly signed by the guardian and one of your parents should be produced. If you wish to authorize The Education University of Hong Kong (EdUHK) as your guardian, you will need to submit a consent form signed by one of your parents when you mail the documents to GAO You may refer to the sample.

* The validity of your student visa is in accordance with the normal duration of your study programme, subject to the validity remaining on the travel document. For example, if your travel document will expire after one year from the day you enter Hong Kong, the limit of stay granted will only be one year. If your duration of study is beyond the validity of your travel document, for convenience, you are strongly advised to renew your travel document before applying for a student visa.

Necessary documents should be sent to Global Affairs Office by courier before a specific deadline. GAO will then submit the application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for approval. It normally takes around six weeks to process a visa application. Once granted, a visa label will be sent to your correspondence address by courier.

Visa Label and Student Visa Activation

Upon receiving the visa label, you have to stick it onto a blank page of your passport. When you arrive in Hong Kong, you need to show that label to an Immigration Officer to activate your student visa. You will then receive a landing slip showing “Student-Permitted to remain until DD-MM-YYYY”. It bears your name, travel document number, arrival date, conditions and limit of stay in Hong Kong.

Without the landing slip, your student visa is not activated and you will NOT be able to register with The Education University of Hong Kong.

Visa fee

There is a non-refundable and non-transferrable fee for your student visa application. Further details will be provided once you are admitted to EdUHK.

Visa Extension

Non-local students must have valid travel document and student visa/entry permit during their stay in Hong Kong. The validity of your student visa is in accordance with the normal duration of your study programme, subject to the validity remaining on the travel document on the day of your entry to Hong Kong. If your limit of stay is shorter than the normal duration of your programme, you should apply for a visa extension four weeks before your limit of stay expires.

It is your responsibility to watch out for the expiry and apply for visa extension on time according to the Immigration rules. Please refer to Registry's Website for the implication of not having a valid student visa.

If you need to extend your visa in order to complete your study programme, you have to submit the request to the Hong Kong Immigration Department 4 weeks before the limit of stay expires with the following documents:

  1. Completed of Visa Extension Application Form
  2. Original and photocopy of your Hong Kong ID card, if any
  3. Original and photocopy of your passport or travel document; and
  4. A Testimonial issued by Registry of EdUHK for stating your full-time registered student status (Please visit Registry's Website for further details)

You should apply for the extension in person or authorize in writing a representative to submit the application to the Immigration Department on your behalf. However, you must be physically in Hong Kong on the date of application submission and on the date of collection of your new visa label.

Non-local students who have obtained an undergraduate or higher qualification in a full-time and locally accredited local programme in Hong Kong may apply for staying/returning and working in Hong Kong under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG). Details are available here.

Expand All