This KT project has the focused area on “Hong Kong cultural heritage”. It converts some of the findings of the PI's research project on the development of Cantonese into a “digital language museum” to highlight some interesting but unnoticeable linguistic changes of the Cantonese language over the past 60 years. The language items displayed in the digital museum include vocabulary and grammatical structures. Some of these features are displayed together with the selected video segments of the Cantonese movies. The language museum is an initiative to document the Cantonese language with authentic materials and also to introduce to the public the relevant socio-cultural issues of old Hong Kong.
The concern of this project is how to teach grammar in an effective way. It aims to develop a website which provides useful grammar teaching resources for primary and secondary school teachers. Another aim is to give BEd(EL) students opportunities to apply their pedagogical learning to real practice. The task of the participating student teachers is to evaluate the lesson plans and teaching materials collected from their classmates. Under the guidance of the project supervisor, the project team will meet regularly to discuss how to revise the original plans and the materials. Ongoing discussion with the project supervisor and other team members will allow the student teachers to have a better understanding of the pedagogical principles learnt, and to develop enhanced lesson planning and materials development skills. School tryouts will be conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the outcomes.
This project aims to:
- Stimulate local students in learning Hong Kong history and culture;
- Strengthen local teachers’ awareness of history in teaching Hong Kong Studies;
- Help teachers in developing and designing teaching material of history subject in the pedagogical approach;
- Introduce recent research trend and findings in the field of Hong Kong history as the references for students’ learning and teachers’ teaching; and
- Consolidate teachers and students’ insights in the historical perspective for making judgments about issues concerning history, culture, the local community, the nation and the world.
The above objectives are in line with the programme of Bachelor of Education in History which aims to promote the importance of and to enhance the quality of history education.