Skip to main content
Emblem of The Education University of Hong Kong
Faculty of Humanities

Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages [MATESOL]

You are strongly encouraged to submit your application online at before the application deadline.

Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a space-available basis. Applicants are therefore advised to apply early.

Applicants should normally hold a recognised Bachelor's degree and preferably a recognised teacher's qualification, or equivalent. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.


Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution in a non-English speaking country should normally fulfil the minimum English proficiency requirements. Please refer to the programme information and the EdUHK Admission Website ( for details.

Yes, you can. Your admission will be confirmed subject to your successful completion of the undergraduate studies by the end of August.

Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend admission interviews/tests, details of which will be given to individual applicants. However, if you have not been invited to attend an interview, you should not assume that you are not being considered for admission. Successful applicants will receive individual notification by email.

If you have relevant postgraduate qualifications, you can apply for credit exemption from some courses. Normally, not more than 25% of the required number of credits for the MATESOL award can be exempted.

This is a self-funded programme. The tuition fee for the September 2024/25 cohort will be HK$136,000 for the whole programme, which is provisional and subject to adjustment. Tuition fees paid are normally not refundable or transferable.

Non-local degrees are accepted provided that they are of a level equivalent to a recognised local degree. The University will assess applicants' non-local qualifications on an individual basis.

If you are required to obtain a student visa / entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration in order to study in Hong Kong, you are regarded as a non-local applicant. Please be assured that indication of residence status does not form a criterion for selection. We welcome non-local applicants to apply for our MATESOL programme and, to allow sufficient time for visa application, you are advised to apply as early as possible.

This is a self-funded programme. Local and non-local applicants pay the same level of tuition fee.

Yes, non-local students can apply for campus accommodation after programme registration. Approval is subject to availability of places.

The MATESOL is mainly a taught programme. It can be completed entirely by coursework (8 courses) or by coursework (6 courses) plus a dissertation (equivalent to 2 courses). 

A 'degree strand' is a particular combination of courses that will give you a specialisation within the MATESOL (e.g., English Studies and Applied Linguistics). The name of the degree strand will be printed on your degree transcript. If you do not wish to specialise, you may take the General strand.

According to the University's "Double Registration" policy, students who are enrolled in any full-time award-bearing programmes (lasting for one year or longer) of the University are not permitted to simultaneously register for another qualification at the University or a post-secondary qualification at any institutions except with prior approval by the Board of Graduate Studies. Violation of this regulation will lead to discontinuation of studies from the University. In case of doubt, students should seek advice from the Board of Graduate Studies (via the Graduate School).

You are welcome to contact the Programme Leader, Dr Angel Ma (, who will ensure that your inquiry is dealt with by the right person.

The MATESOL degree is not an English teaching qualification, because it does not include a teaching practice (Field Experience) component. It is an advanced academic and professional qualification for English teachers. If you are seeking an English teaching qualification in order to teach in Hong Kong schools, you are advised to apply for our Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programme. Details of the programmes are available at

Postgraduate Programmes