Presidential Advisory Group Discusses ‘New Normal’ Challenges
Professor Stephen Cheung Yan-leung, President of The Education University of Hong Kong (EdUHK), met with Members of the Presidential Advisory Group (PAG) on 14 May 2021 to discuss the challenges and way forward for the University and the school sector in the midst of the prolonged pandemic, which has affected various aspects of learning and teaching.
The PAG is a high-level platform to advise the President on the key aspects of EdUHK’s development strategies and to make recommendations thereon. Members of the PAG are leading and prominent figures from the educational and social sectors.
At the meeting, Professor Cheung stressed the close partnership between EdUHK and schools, adding that the University would take the lead in supporting the school sector. He also briefed PAG members on the University’s latest developments, including:
(i) recent achievements on the research and knowledge transfer fronts;
(ii) key initiatives in the areas of early childhood education, coding education, parent education, special education, life and value education, as well as Chinese history and culture; and
(iii) development of online educational resources for sharing with the school sector, in response to increasing demand for blended learning and teaching under the new normal brought about by the pandemic.
The PAG currently comprises 16 Members, namely:
- The Most Reverend Andrew Chan Au-ming, Archbishop and Primate of Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui, Bishop of the Missionary Area of Macau, and Bishop of the Diocese of Western Kowloon
- Ms Amy Chan Lim-chee, Executive Manager, Racing Development Board/Headmistress, Apprentice Jockeys’ School, The Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Dr Anissa Chan Wong Lai-kuen, Founding Chairman, Hong Kong Principals’ Institute
- Mr Daniel Chan Wing-kwong, Principal, Po Leung Kuk Laws Foundation College
- Ms Rowena Cheung Po-man, Principal, Hong Kong Taoist Association Wun Tsuen School
- Dr Sanly Kam Shau-wan, Consultant, Council of Non-profit Making Organizations for Pre-primary Education
- Dr Maggie Koong May-kay, Chief Principal, Causeway Bay Victoria Kindergarten and Victoria (China) Education Group, and the Co-Founder and Head of Academy, Victoria Shanghai Academy
- Dr Lam Tai-fai, Chairman of Lam Tai Fai Charitable Foundation and Supervisor of Lam Tai Fai College
- Ms Leona Lam Wai-ling, Founding Principal, Tai Po Old Market Public School (Plover Cove)
- Dr Joseph Lee Chung-tak, School Founder and Supervisor, W F Joseph Lee Primary School
- Mrs Laura Ling Lau Yuet-fun, School Manager, Shatin Public School and President, Special Olympics Hong Kong
- Ms Shirley Loo, General Secretary, Family Development Foundation
- Mr Francis Ngai Wah-sing, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Social Ventures Hong Kong
- The Honourable Abraham Shek Lai-him, Member of the Legislative Council of the HKSAR
- Mr Tai Hay-lap, Special Adviser to the President, EdUHK
- Mr Tai Keen-man, Vice-Chairman, The Neighbourhood Advice-Action Council