Message from Head
Welcome to the Department of Linguistics and Modern Language Studies (LML). We are committed to nurturing graduates who will become competent professionals in a wide range of careers in language-related employment and other areas. We aim to promote academic and professional knowledge and apply it to real life situations through community-engaged learning and research.
The Department was established in 2012 and is one of the four departments of the Faculty of Humanities. Over the years, we have been developing in response to the changing needs of our society. Apart from offering students access to a wide range of linguistic studies, we also offer translation courses and a spectrum of modern language courses to enhance students’ intercultural competence in times of globalization.
- To offer high quality courses/programmes in linguistics and modern languages for developing professional knowledge and advanced communication skills in our students to prepare them to become educators and professionals in various fields;
- To foster and to equip our students with an in-depth knowledge of human language system and its interdependency between thought and culture;
- To promote scientific inquiry of human languages, their learning and their use, via the publication and presentation of linguistic scholarship;
- To enrich students' learning experiences for the appreciation of modern languages and diversified cultures through formal and non-formal learning activities;
- To expand collaborations and links with regional and international partners in research and practices, particularly in areas such as language learning and acquisition, and digital humanities in language;
- To engage in knowledge transfer activities to enhance the impact of the scientific study of language on society.