32-1200x661
Student Finance
Schemes for Subsidy on Exchange

Established in 2015 and 2016, the Scheme for Subsidy on Exchange for Post-secondary Students (SSE) and Scheme for Means-tested Subsidy on Exchange to 'Belt and Road' Regions for Post-secondary Students (Means-tested SSEBR) are offered by Education Bureau (EDB) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to support financially needy students to participate in outbound exchange activities. Means-tested grant up to $60,000 will be provided for financially needy local students (both publicly-funded and self-financing) of full-time locally-accredited undergraduate including top-up programmes to participate in exchange activities outside Hong Kong.

 

Starting from July 2019, EDB further offers two non-means-tested schemes for subsidy on exchange, namely, Non-means-tested Mainland Experience Scheme for Post-Secondary Students (Non-means-tested MES) and Scheme for Non-means-tested Subsidy on Exchange to 'Belt and Road' Regions for Post-Secondary Students (Non-means-tested SSEBR) to encourage more post-secondary students in Hong Kong to pursue exchange activities in the Mainland and other B&R regions.

 

Eligibility & Selection Criteria

 

1. Eligible Students

 

SSE

Means-tested-SSEBR

Non-means-tested SSEBR

Non-means-tested MES

Local Students

Local students

Local students

Local and
Non-Local students

 

In receipt of means-tested student financial assistance (i.e. approved grant under TSFS or FASP) from Student Finance Office (SFO) OR whose families are in receipt of the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) by the time student applies or is nominated for an outbound exchange programme

 

 

 

 

Going to participate in an eligible exchange activity as detailed below and selected through a merit-based mechanism administered by EdUHK

 

Students are eligible for SSE once at the current level of study

Students are eligible for means-tested SSEBR twice at the current level of study

Students are eligible for non-means-tested MES once at the current level of study

Students are eligible for non-means-tested SSEBR once at the current level of study;

Students applied for means-tested SSEBR twice would not be eligible for non-means-tested SSEBR

 

2. Eligible Exchange Activity

 

SSE

Means-tested-SSEBR

Non-means-tested SSEBR

Non-means-tested MES

Outbound activity comprising substantive teaching and learning elements organized and/or endorsed by EdUHK;

Lasting for at least 14 days

Lasting for at least 5 days

In anywhere outside Hong Kong

In Belt & Road regions, excluding the Mainland/Taiwan/Macao

In the Mainland

 

If the exchange activity is not organized by EdUHK, the hosting institution must be a recognized institution/body either in Hong Kong or in the home country

 

 

Subsidy Amount

 

SSE

Means-tested-SSEBR

Non-means-tested SSEBR

Non-means-tested MES

The maximum amount of subsidy to be granted to a student will be calculated by applying his/her latest level of student finance approved by SFO to the applicable maximum amount of subsidy. Maximum amount of subsidy per exchange activity varies according to different destination and duration of the activity.  For details, please refer to Application Guideline.

 

The approved subsidy will be issued in two instalments: 70% will be issued before the exchange activity*; and the remaining 30% will be issued after the submission of Declaration for Exchange Subsidy Claim Form

 

Maximum amount of subsidy per exchange activity varies according to different destination and duration of the activity.  For details, please refer to Application Guideline.

 

The approved subsidy will be issued in one installment upon submission of both application form and declaration form*.

 

* Subject to submission date.

 

To know more details about the Schemes, please refer to the below documents.

General Information

 

Means-tested Schemes

Non-means-tested Schemes

Leaflet_SSE

Leaflet_Non-means-tested MES

Leaflet_Means-tested SSEBR

Leaflet_Non-means-tested SSEBR

 

 

Application Form – For Exchange Activity Organizer

 

Application Guidelines and Forms – For Student

 

Means-tested Schemes

Non-means-tested Schemes

Application Guideline

Application Guideline

Application Form

Application Form

 

 

 

Applicants should complete application form and submit relevant documentary proofs together with Declaration for Exchange Subsidy Claim Form within one month after the programme end date, while the exchange activity in a certain academic year should be completed on or before 31 August of that academic year only, whichever comes first, i.e. exchange activity in 2020/21 should be completed on or before 31 August 2021.

同學須於活動完結後一個月內遞交申請、相關文件及使費聲明,而該學年的海外交流活動亦只限於該學年831日前申請,以日期較早者為準。


例如:同學須於2021年8月31日前遞交2020/21年之海外交流活動申請。