Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching, Volume 15, Issue 2, Article 8 (Dec., 2014)
Appendix A: The Measure of Acceptance of the Theory of Evolution (MATE) by Rutledge and Warden (2000)
For the following items, please indicate your agreement/disagreement with the given statements using the following scale:
- Organisms existing today are the result of evolutionary processes that have occurred over millions of years.
- The theory of evolution is incapable of being scientifically tested.
- Modern humans are the product of evolutionary processes that have occurred over millions of years.
- The theory of evolution is based on speculation and not valid scientific observation and testing.
- Most scientists accept evolutionary theory to be a scientifically valid theory.
- The available data are ambiguous (unclear) as to whether evolution actually occurs.
- The age of the earth is less than 20,000 years.
- There is a significant body of data that supports evolutionary theory.
- Organisms exist today in essentially the same form in which they always have.
- Evolution in not a scientifically valid theory.
- The age of the earth is at least 4 billion years.
- Current evolutionary theory is the result of sound scientific research and methodology.
- Evolutionary theory generates testable predictions with respect to the characteristics of life.
- The theory of evolution cannot be correct since it disagrees with the Biblical account of creation.
- Humans exist today in essentially the same form in which they always have.
- Evolutionary theory is supported by factual historical and laboratory data.
- Much of the scientific community doubts if evolution occurs.
- The theory of evolution brings meaning to the diverse characteristics and behaviors observed in living forms.
- With few exceptions, organisms on earth came into existence at about the same time.
- Evolution is a scientifically valid theory.
Copyright (C) 2014 HKIEd APFSLT. Volume 15, Issue 2, Article 8 (Dec., 2014). All Rights Reserved.