Lectures & Talks
Citizenship Education Seminar
In this seminar Ian Davies will discuss findings from a recently completed project ‘creating citizenship communities’. That project, funded by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation) and undertaken with colleagues from the Department of Education, University of York and the National Foundation for Educational Research, aimed to:
- identify activities for community cohesion that are managed by schools and explore to what extent these initiatives are perceived by students to contribute to their understanding and practice;
- ascertain how students characterize community cohesion and what range of community (both virtual and actual) activities they are engaged in within and beyond school;
- produce exemplar resources for new approaches to learning (for policy makers, academics, professionals and young people).
The project makes recommendations about:
- the need to challenge negative stereotypes about young people;
- the enhancement of the status of citizenship and community in schools;
- the encouragement of professionals with curricular and whole school expertise to work more closely together;
- the ways in which the knowledge and experience of young people could be explored in educational program.
Prof Ian Davies
Professor of Education and Deputy Head of the Department of Education
University of York (?勗?蝝?憭批飛)