Under the new SPSS license agreement with IBM (from June 2015 to June 2020), staff and students can use the SPSS software both within and outside campus for academic and research purpose. As such, users can now use SPSS at home which can be done in one of the following two ways:
1. SPSS network version
Users can install and use the SPSS network version on their personal PC. To install/use SPSS, the PC requires an Internet connection and it must be connected to the EdUHK VPN before using the software. See below for the major steps to install and use SPSS outside campus.
- For MS Windows - SPSS 24 Network Version Installation Guide.pdf
- For Mac OS - SPSS 24 Network Version Installation Guide (For Mac).pdf
Install SPSS network version
- Download the SPSS installation file on https://uslinux2.eduhk.hk/int_all/software_list/sw_list.php .
- Choose the installation file according to your Windows platform (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Make connection to EdUHK VPN if you have not done so. For details, please refer to EdUHK VPN Service.
- Launch the installation file.
- At the end of the installation, you need to license the product.
- Choose "Concurrent user license" for the Product Authorization. And enter "lic-spss24.eduhk.hk" as the License Manager name.
- It may take up to 30 minutes to finish the installation.
- Connect to EdUHK VPN if you have not done so.
- Launch SPSS.
- You will get a "Windows Security Alert" the first time you launch it. Tick the option "Private networks, such as my home or work network" and then click the "Allow access" button.
- For the "Unicode Mode", choose "Use Unicode encoding". (It is recommended that users should choose "Use Unicode encoding" no matter they use Chinese characters or not in SPSS.)
- Now you can open your SPSS data file.
2. SPSS on "Horizon Workspace" platform
SPSS on the "Horizon Workspace" platform provides a quick access to SPSS without the need to actually install the software. What you need is just a web browser. To use SPSS on Horizon Workspace, please visit Horizon Workspace service website for details.
Note: We have a limited number of SPSS concurrent licenses. When all licenses are used, users will not be able to use the software at that moment. In this case, please wait and try again later.