Microsoft Imagine (formerly Microsoft DreamSpark) provides professional-level developer and design tools to students for free. These Microsoft tools will help you advance your learning and skills through technical design, technology, math, science, and engineering activities. Eligible users can download, install and use ONE copy of the Microsoft software provided under the Imagine programme.
As an academic institution, EdUHK has subscribed the "Imagine Standard" programme so that academic staff are also eligible to use the software provided under the Imagine Standard programme. Note that proof of academic status is required before downloading the available Microsoft software tools from the Imagine site. Microsoft provides an online verification program to do this and the only information required for verification is your EdUHK email address and a Windows Live ID. All registered user remain verified for 12 months and will have the option to renew after 12 months.
Pre-requisites and requirements
- Only students and academic staff are eligible for using the Imagine software.
- You MUST use your EdUHK email (firstname.lastname@example.org for students or email@example.com for staffs) and a Microsoft Live ID for registration and identity verification.
- You will be prompted by Microsoft to verify your academic status once every 12 months from the last verification date.
Registration and activation procedures for Imagine Service can be done at "Microsoft Imagine Register webpage". For details, please refer to the "Procedures for First Time Microsoft Imagine Registration " user guide.
Microsoft Imagine includes many products and you can see the complete list by visiting the Imagine site listed from Imagine Software Catalog. The products provided are the same as those commercial products that professional developers can buy and use. All products are listed with links for you to easily download. Basically, you will be able to download ALL the products but you can only install and use one copy of each product.
If you encounter problems when downloading or accessing the software at the Imagine site, please contact the Imagine Technical Support for assistance.
The Imagine FAQ which highlight some of the important points for your information. Please visit their web site for the full information.
Terms of Agreement
The Imagine Standard subscription pursuant to the Microsoft terms of agreement. Here are some important highlights extracted from the original agreement:
- Software may not be shared, transferred, resold, assigned or used to develop or maintain your own administrative or IT systems.
- User use the software only (a) to teach, develop, support, conduct, or take courses, labs, or programs you offer; (b) in non-commercial research on your behalf; or (c) to design, develop, test, and demonstrate software programs for the above purposes;
- User can make and install copies of the software on any number of servers, personal computers and media on your premises for use in support of
- User can make one additional copy of the software on their own computer or other device solely for use as a backup copy, provided that their use is pursuant to these terms
- User may not use the software for commercial purposes or commercial software application development, publication or distribution unless you first purchase the appropriate commercial license(s) for the software.
For details, please refer to the Microsoft Imagine Subscription Agreement