Certificate in Professional Development Programme on Induction for Novice Functional/Subject Heads (FULL)
Programme Code: CWP014
|Ms Mang||Mr So|
|2948 6142||2948 8761|
On completion of this programme, participants are expected to:
- Analyze critically on the role and expectations of novice functional/ subject heads in schools from a school-based, local and international perspective;
- Acquire ability in planning, implementing and reporting year-plan of functional/ subject group, examining the practices of budget management and basic concepts of accounting ;
- Apply appropriate strategies to construct a positive culture and professional learning communities in functional/subject groups, and develop their competence in team management, leadership and coordination skills, and communication skills with different stakeholders; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of the leading change within school, and have reflections on professional development of novice functional/subject heads in changing contexts of schools.
This programme consists of one 3-credit-point course with a total of 39 contact hours.
This course will prepare participants for the following aspects:
- an understanding of novice functional/subject heads and preparing participants to take new roles and responsibilities on leading roles in functional/subject groups in schools;
- examining issues related to local school development such as curriculum development and other initiatives;
- acquiring ability in planning, implementing and reporting year-plan of functional/ subject group effectively and efficiently;
- examining the practices of budget management and basic concepts of accounting, and human resource within group;
- learning to apply appropriate strategies to construct a positive culture and professional learning communities in groups, and developing their competence in team management;
- demonstrating group leadership and coordination skills, and communication skills with different stakeholders;
- demonstrating an understanding of the leading change within school, understanding self-initiated learning, after-action review, knowledge management and action learning for professional development of teacher leader, and having reflections on their role as a lifelong learner in changing contexts of schools.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction is Chinese (Cantonese).
27 Nov 2021 (Sat)
18 Dec 2021 (Sat)
22 Jan 2022 (Sat)
26 Feb 2022 (Sat)
26 Mar 2022 (Sat)
To be eligible for admission, applicants should be:
- in-service functional/subject heads in primary or secondary schools; and
- recommended by school principals.
- complete the “personal information and expectation form” (Chinese version only)
- priority will be given to those who will be appointed and have been appointed as Functional/Subject Heads for less than three years
To be awarded a Certificate of Completion, participants must obtain a pass in all assessment tasks required and successfully fulfill the attendance requirements as stipulated by the programme.
The programme will be coordinated by Dr WU Siu Wai, who has rich experiences in running professional development programmes for newly appointed school principals and aspiring principals, serving and potential school managers and middle managers. Experienced functional/subject head, vice-principal and principal will be invited to share their practice-oriented knowledge.