Certificate in Professional Development Programme on the Teaching of Chinese Language for
Non-Chinese Speaking Children (FULL)
Programme Code: CWP009
|Mode of Study:
||5 full days (Saturdays)
||Tai Po Campus
||Dr Lam Ho Cheong
||2948 7897, 2948 6790
Participants are able to:
- Recognise the challenges and experiences Non-Chinese speaking (NCS) children and families have in learning Chinese;
- Articulate the concepts of sociocultural awareness in teaching Chinese to NCS children which include theories of learning and teaching Chinese language and culturally responsive theories;
- Apply different teaching strategies, techniques, and skills to enhance the teaching of Chinese for NCS children;
- Apply professional knowledge to develop and implement a school-based curriculum for teaching Chinese to NCS children; and
- Identify the resources in the society and on the Internet or in the market to build an inclusive learning environment for NCS children to learn Chinese.
The programme consists of one 3-credit-point course with a total of 39 contact hours.
The Teaching of Chinese Language for Non-Chinese Speaking Children (3 credit points)
This course will focus on:
- fostering participants to examine the challenges and experiences NCS children have in learning spoken and written Chinese;
- discussing theories of learning and teaching Chinese in light of the concepts of sociocultural awareness by drawing on the theories of culturally responsiveness, bilingualism and multilingualism to inform the practice of teaching Chinese for NCS children;
- building capacity of participants in developing school-based curriculum and in delivering the teaching of Chinese for NCS children with linguistic and cultural diversity; and
- providing participants with opportunities to share and exchange professional knowledge in supporting NCS children in learning Chinese.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction is Chinese (Cantonese).
The 5-full day programme is tentatively offered twice a year as follow:
Class 1: (FULL)
6 February 2021 (Saturday)
27 February 2021 (Saturday)
13 March 2021 (Saturday)
27 March 2021 (Saturday)
17 April 2021 (Saturday)
Class 2: (FULL)
20 February 2021 (Saturday)
6 March 2021 (Saturday)
20 March 2021 (Saturday)
10 April 2021 (Saturday)
24 April 2021 (Saturday)
To be eligible for admission, applicants should be:
- in-service qualified teachers, curriculum coordinators, school leaders or principals in pre-primary setting, preferably with experience in teaching Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) children; and
- recommended by their principals.
To be awarded a Certificate of Completion, participants must obtain a pass in all assessment tasks required and successfully fulfill the attendance and/or assessment requirements as stipulated by the programme.
Participants who complete our PDPs are eligible to apply for credit transfer if they enroll in our postgraduate programmes. Their applications will be considered on an individual basis.