Certificate in Professional Development Programme for Teachers Using English as the Medium of Instruction in Secondary Schools
(Full-time Block Release)
Programme Code: BWP085
Theme: Improving content subject teaching in the English medium
|Ms Lam||Mr Yau|
|2948 7269||2948 7250|
This Key Learning Area (KLA) Specific Programme aims to develop teachers' specialised knowledge and classroom skills required to teach their content subjects effectively through English.
By the end of the Programme, participants should be able to:
- demonstrate an enhanced understanding of aspects of rationale for and principles underlying English medium education in Hong Kong;
- demonstrate an enhanced understanding of the role of language in learning;
- demonstrate an awareness of a range of strategies for effective planning and classroom teaching and learning of their own subject through English;
- demonstrate enhanced knowledge and skills using English as the medium of instruction in their own subject.
The programme comprises the following course:
Teaching Content Subjects in the English Medium (3 credit points)
The course is based on the principle that language learning is an integral part of subject learning and that language and content cannot be separated. The course will build on participants' knowledge, skills and experiences in teaching their KLAs/ content subjects in the English medium and aims to further promote their effectiveness in the delivery of content knowledge in the English medium. The course reflects the belief that subject teachers should be aware of the role of language in learning, should recognise the demands placed upon students in their negotiation of academic language, and should be able to draw upon a range of strategies to support the development of academic language.
Participants select from one of four KLAs / Content Subjects / Areas to focus their study:
- Science Education
- Mathematics Education
- Personal, Social and Humanities Education (PSHE)
- Language across Curriculum (LAC)
|KLA / Content Subject||Topics Explored|
|Personal, Social and Humanities Education (PSHE)||
More detailed course outlines can be found in http://www.eduhk.hk/ele/programmes/professional/
The programme is tentatively offered once a year, from 1 June to 8 June 2022.
Registration closes 2 weeks before course commencement
To be eligible for admission, applicants should be:
- serving secondary school teachers; and
- recommended by their respective school principal
Remarks: Both teachers and panel chairs are welcome.
To be awarded a Certificate of Completion, participants must obtain a pass in all assessment tasks required and successfully fulfill the attendance requirements as stipulated by the programme.