Who to Apply
We welcome local and non-local applicants who are seeking admission on the strength of non-HKDSE qualifications to apply for our government-funded programmes via direct application (i.e. Non-JUPAS application). Applicants who are seeking admission on the strength of HKDSE qualifications should apply through Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS).
Applicants who possess the following qualifications are welcome to apply via direct application:
- A recognised post-secondary qualification^ such as an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma; or
- One year of attendance in a recognised Associate Degree/Higher Diploma programme^; or
- Non-local qualification# such as a GCE AL, IB Diploma, High School Graduation Diploma or SAT.; or
- Current enrolment in a full-time or sandwich Bachelor's degree programme in Hong Kong's UGC-funded institutions*/recognised institutions; or
- HKALE qualification; or
- A mature applicant; or
- Possession of other exceptional abilities that merit special consideration.
- Normally, qualification which is of Level 4 or above under Qualifications Register (QR) of Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ).
- Applicants holding non-local post-secondary qualification may be required to provide a "Report for Qualifications Assessment" issued by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications to support their applications. Same as eligible applicants with HKALE qualification, eligible applicants with GCE AL/IB and 13 years of schooling will be granted a maximum of 9 credit points of block credit transfer.
- The following institutions (and the EdUHK) are UGC-funded institutions: City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, Lingnan University, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and The University of Hong Kong. However, inter-institutional transfers are not normally allowed except under exceptional circumstances.
In addition to the foregoing general entrance requirements, applicants holding non-local qualifications have to demonstrate an acceptable level of proficiency in both the Chinese and English languages, unless exempted by the University.
English Language Requirement
The following is a list of acceptable tests and the score required:
- Grade E or above in ASL Use of English in the HKALE; or
- Level 3 or above in English Language in the HKDSE; or
- A TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based test) or 80 (internet-based test); or
- A minimum overall band of 6 in the academic version of IELTS; or
- A score of 110 or above in JEE English Language; or
- Grade E or above in GCE AS Level or AL Level English; or
- Grade C or above in IGCSE/GCE O-level English; or
- Grade C or above in GCSE English or English Literature.
Chinese Language Requirement*
Applicants are normally required to obtain:
- Grade E or above in ASL Chinese Language & Culture in the HKALE; or
- Level 3 or above in Chinese Language in the HKDSE; or
- Grade 4 or above in IB Chinese Language subject; or
- Grade E or above in GCE A/AS Level Chinese; or
- Grade C or above in GCSE / IGCSE / GCE O-level Chinese.
*Applicants seeking admission to programmes with English as the medium of instruction will be exempted from this Chinese Language requirement on a case-by-case basis.
Associate Degree/Higher Diploma Students or Graduates
Applicants who are Associate Degree or Higher Diploma students or graduates (including those who will obtain such a qualification by August 2017) are welcome to apply. However, Higher Diploma non-final year students should normally possess a good Grade Point Average (GPA) for successful admission. Depending on qualification and attainment, applicants with local sub-degree qualifications may be admitted to senior year. Eligible applicants who are not admitted to senior year will be considered under the regular entry route to Year 1 of the programme and they may be granted block credit transfer.
Applicants applied on the strength of HKALE results are required to possess:
- Grade E or above in ASL Use of English* and Chinese Language & Culture*; and
- Grade E or above in at least two AL subjects OR one AL subject plus two ASL subjects (other than Use of English and Chinese Language & Culture).
- Or equivalent to the Language Requirements listed above.
Eligible applicants will be granted 9 credit points of block credit transfer.
We work in tandem with the Government to promote a flexible approach to the development of multiple forms of intelligence and lifelong and life-wide learning. We therefore welcome applications from out-of-school candidates aged 25 and above who have specific talents or achievements and a wealth of experience. Aspiring applicants with a serious commitment to teaching are especially welcome. At the University's discretion, if you do not possess the minimum programme entrance requirements but are at least 25 years of age as of 31 August 2017 and can demonstrate to the University's satisfaction your suitability for and capability to pursue your chosen programme successfully, then you may be exempted from the entrance requirements as a mature student. You need not explicitly request such consideration, as mature applicants provisions are automatically invoked by the University where appropriate. However, you will not be given preferential treatment over normal applications, but will be dealt with solely on your merits on a case-by-case basis.
Admission Interview(s) / Practical Test(s)
Applicants may be required to attend admission interview(s) / practical test(s). Shortlisted applicants will receive interview notification(s) by email and/or SMS. Letters will not be posted except in very exceptional circumstances. Applicants who do not turn up for the interview(s) / practical test(s) will not be considered. Owing to tight interview schedule, applicants are strongly advised to check their online application status regularly for the most updated interview arrangements. However, applicants who have not been invited to the interview shall not assume that they are not being considered for admission.